Friday, January 8, 2010

After I graduated from elementary school, I went to Boy's High. This was in 1925,I was t herea week but could n't continue my family needed me to go to work. I went to work as a Western Union messenger. The first office i worked oat was locatred at 92 Wall Street. This station's was"RS." We covered the Wall St area. Frim Brioad ST to the water frontMost of the people ZI served were at steamship lines and brokerage firms-- mostly coffee tea and sugar. Whenever necessary I filled in at various officees in the city.
I was a meesseger also at the4 Equitable inthe 30s.uptown buiklding. I served a lot of tie in the fur and garment districts.

As a western union messengert I enjoyed meeting somr famous personalities. I met them whe niu delviered to telwerams to them. Some marked personal, had to be delivered directly to them and signed for by them.
The only one I remember was Biully deBeck. He was a cartoonist an he did Barney Google and sparkplug. Actually I rmember more about his giant dog.iI think it was was a bull mastiff. He lived in an apartment on W. 94h St not to far fro Rioverside Drive.

No comments: